Below is a selection of publicly available readings for anybody who is interested to learn more about a specific branch of history I’ve outlined within this website. If you have some suggestions, please do share!
about the Baltics and the Russian Revolution
- A Baltic Odyssey: War and Survival by Jurgen and Martha von Rosen | Two first hand accounts of the Russian Revolution in the Baltics.
- The Russian Album by Michael Ignatieff | Chronicles of five generations of Michael Ignatieff’s Russian family, beginning in 1815. This book isn’t directly related to our Baltic side of the family, but it gives a very good account of the strife a noble family in the Baltics and Russia underwent as the Bolshevik revolution took over the land.
about the Cape Bretoner’s
- I am Mary …best Grade ‘A’ Love | memoirs of Mary (Tobin) Shepherd edited/typed by daughter Sheilagh Sims | This book goes into detail about Mary’s life growing up with the Tobin clan (John (Jack) Tobin and Viola Lamont family) and then Mary’s journey in starting a family of her own with Jack Shepherd (aka. Ben Grossman), filled with little stories and memories of Mary’s throughout the history. An enchanting read giving insight into the life of a Cape Bretoner.
- Passing of Dagmar Devick geb. von Behr
- Excerpt from Ireland’s Own on the Tobin Clan
- The Disappearing Evidence of Baltic Germans in Latvia by Peter E. Baron von Sass
- Elley Manor Restoration Project
- Portraits: Tobin, MacKinnon
- Excerpts from Our Pioneers – Baltic-German Immigration in Alberta
- The Portrait of Duchess Dorothea von Medem (von Biron)
- Interactive Map of Estates Related to the Family in Latvia